Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ongoing New Designs





This bead is one of the larger focals that I have tried out various cuts just to see which way things would go. Interesting effect. I love the contrast between the silver and the blue. The hard part is taking the photograph of these lovelies! That's why when I list items for sale I take lots of pictures so that you can see them at different angles. All of these silver glasses can be tricky to capture the beauty of it sometimes.


I really prefer more of a freeform look to beads, odd shapes and interesting cuts in the glass. At least I think they are interesting. When you cut glass it can spring apart like these two beads did. I've been working on perfecting the actual number of cuts and the proportion of the base glass to the special glass - high silver content, and then seeing how the base glass influences the outcome. The blue in the left on really does influence the color of the bead. These silver glasses are partly transparent so you see the color as you turn the bead. On the right it is a pale pink base which I think adds more color to the iridescence. I felt that if I used a pale yellow it would be too yellow. Really interesting.

2 comments:

mairedodd said...

these are very interesting... really organic in form! are you planning them as a large hole bead as well?
will be watching the shop!

MaryAnn said...

Glad you find them interesting. These have the 1/16 mandrel hole which usually turns into about 2mm hole. With this particular form they could be made up to a 3/32, I think

MaryAnn